Propeller Bead® Filter
Designed for High Flow and Highly Loaded Systems
These filters are easy to clean, easily automated, compact and very energy efficient.
Utilized at some of the largest recirculating fish production facilities, zoos, and aquariums, these units accept versatile loads ranging from low to high solids due to the active motorized backwash system.
The motorized embedded propeller is used for frequent washing of the media, removing captured solids and excess media biofloc. The sludge then settles to the bottom of the unit where it is drained, reducing water loss that is normally associated with backwash processes. With Propeller Bead filters, you will only lose 10% of the water you that you would normally lose with run-of-the-mill sand filters.
AST has both standard flow and high flow (pressurized) Propeller Bead filters. High flow filters can process flow rates of up to 1200 gpm, making them perfect for large systems that need frequent turnover.
Suitable for high loads that are typical of aquaculture applications, these filters are capable of handling ammonia loads 50% – 100% higher than standard bead filters. You will be able to lower your overall water and head loss – our innovative backwashing process is gentle enough to protect the biofilm and keep the environment healthy.
Propeller Bead® Benefits:
- Motorized backwashing process handles low to high solids loading
- Suitable for high flow rates
- Perfect for high volume systems that require frequent turnover
- Far less water loss than sand filtration systems
- Technology that has been tested and proven for over 20 years
- Energy savings from smaller pumps and more efficient designs
- Long-lasting: Media is very resistant to clogging and caking
- Superior filtration removes large and small solids
Propeller Bead Skid System
Prefabricated for Quick and Easy Installation
With our Propeller Bead skid systems, you can rest assured that AST’s engineering professionals have done all of the hard work for you. These systems come with all of your filtration basics, plus optional UV sterilization.
With a skid system by AST, it is easier than ever to get started with your project; just hook the system directly to your tank or pond and plug it in!
- Mounted on a skid for indoor or outdoor use
- Aggressive motorized backwash
- Reliable, gentle backwash operation
- Optional UV sterilization available
- Centrifugal pumps with strainer baskets
- Pump Assisted Backwash Kits for pressurized backwash discharge
- Plumbed using Schedule 40 PVC
- Unions at strategic locations for easy maintenance
- Simply connect a line leading from your pond or tank to the pump suction, and a line leading from the filter outlet back to the pond or tank!
Propeller Bead (PBF-5S) Skid System: System Layout
Propeller Bead Filter Skid System: Powerful Motorized Backwash Demo with Bypass Configuration
Tell Us About Your Project
The team at AST is ready to learn about your needs and assemble a quote for your project. Contact us today!
How Does the Technology Work?
The Propeller Bead® filter has the most aggressive backwash of any of AST filters. Delivered by a motorized propeller that vigorously mixes the beads, the water enters through the side intake and exits from the top of the filter, trapping solids within the floating media bed.
When backwashing, the pump is turned off and the water inlet valve is closed. If the system is pressurized, it must be released before operating the mixing motor. The mixing motor is turned on for 15-45 seconds until the beads fluidize. The mixing motor is shut off and the solids are allowed to settle for ten minutes minimum. Opening the drain early risks losing beads, and the solids will not be drained. The sludge valve is opened, and the concentrated sludge is allowed to gravity drain from the filter. Backwash frequency is dictated by feed rate.
After sludge is drained, the sludge valve is closed and the inlet valve reopened. Turning the pump back on puts the filter back into normal operation.