Bubble Bead® Filter
A popular product in multiple industries and applications, the Bubble Bead Filter by AST offers easy maintenance and effective filtration. Perfect for aquaculture systems, research applications, quarantine systems, broodstock holding, and more.
Studies have shown that our bead filters capture 100% of particles greater than 50 microns and 48% of particles in the 5-10 micron range per pass.
In addition to solids removal, these filters provide biological filtration, breaking down the nitrogenous wastes into non-toxic substances. Our gentle backwash removes the collected solids while keeping the necessary bio-film intact.
- Gentle Backwash: Does not harm the bio-film
- Simple: Easy to understand and operate
- Reliable: No internal moving parts
- Energy Savings: Efficient design
- Low Maintenance: Backwashing is quick
- Longevity: Media never needs replacement
- Superior Clarification: Removes solids effectively
Our small to medium sized Bubble Bead units (XS300-XS10000) are now available to purchase on Amazon.com!
For larger units, please request a quote.
Prefabricated for Quick and Easy Installation
With our Bubble Bead skid systems, you can rest assured that AST’s engineering professionals have done all of the hard work for you. These skid systems offer automated backwash functionality that can be set at specific time increments and sequences. They come with a controller and controller stand installed directly on the skid!
With a skid system by AST, it is easier than ever to get started with your project; just hook the system directly to your tank or pond and plug it in!
- Mounted on a skid for indoor or outdoor use
- Reliable, gentle backwash operation
- Optional UV sterilization available
- Centrifugal pumps with strainer baskets
- Pump Assisted Backwash Kits for pressurized discharge of backwash waters
- Automated systems include separate sludge pumps
- Plumbed using Schedule 40 PVC
- Unions at strategic locations for easy maintenance
- Simply connect a line leading from your pond or tank to the pump suction, and a line leading from the filter outlet back to the pond or tank!
"I can backwash my filter in a tuxedo."
Jim Clingan, Bubble Bead Filter owner since 1995 Used for his home koi pond.
Bubble differs from the Propeller Bead® and Polygeyser® bead filters in its simpler, yet very effective gentle backwash. The backwash is started by shutting off the circulation pump and opening the sludge valve. As the water drains from the filter, a check valve on the effluent line closes, creating negative pressure in the filter. The potential energy of the water leaving the filter pulls air in through the air inlet. Expanding and agitating the bead media in a vigorous boiling type action as it passes downward through our unique washing throat.
As the beads enter the lower expansion chamber, the downward velocity decreases due to the increased cross sectional area so the beads are suspended as the water washes the solids away from the beads and out of the filter. Once the flow of the wastewater stops, the backwash is complete. Simply close the sludge valve and turn the circulation pump back on. Your filter is now in normal operation with a clean filtration bed.
The Bubble Bead® backwash is vigorous enough to remove unwanted solids and debris, yet gentle enough maintain a healthy bio-film on the bead Media. In fact, during testing the nitrification rate actually increased with increased backwash frequency.
Let's Get Started Today
From a simple filter to a complete custom system, our engineers can help you find the perfect filtration system for your needs. Get in touch today!